Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Traces of Memory: An exhibition by Julie Millowick

This exhibition was held at the Watson Arts Centre.
It was a particularly different exhibition because it was based on a range of photograms.
A photogram involves the process of placing an object on top of photographic paper and exposing it the same way you would project film in an enlarger. It was interesting to see artistic versions of this type of photography. I was introduced to it in high school when we were learning how to expose paper. I guess i've always thought of it as an amerture medium but Julie Millowick really changed my view on it.
The photograms she had produced were quite botanic and included a range of flowers and plants; they were displayed next to an image of the same plant.
I really enjoyed this exhibition althought it only comprised of a few images. It a bit strange that this exhibition had been placed in the same gallery as another exhibiton about Aboriginal Culture. I don't know if there was a purpose involved or if it was just due to lack of exhibition space!

No comments: